Thursday, April 28, 2011

Magic Hair

I have never been a high-maintenance kind of person. I love make up but hate doing my hair. My hair is naturally very thick and pretty frizzy so I usually just put it in a bun or pony tail. Back home I got in the habit of leaving it in a bun overnight and taking it down the next day (less frizz, more curl). But I never felt like it looked that good.

After a few weeks in Korea I got my first hair cut here. It was the best haircut I've ever gotten. She layered it just right, thinned it out so it was easier to manage, not to mention how ridiculously cheap it was! Shampoo, conditioner, cut, blow-dry, and style was only 10,000 won (that's less than $10 USD!).

About 10 months later I started researching the "Magic straight" which is very popular in Korea. It is a way to permanently straighten your hair. All you have to do is walk in to a salon and say, "Magic Pahm-uh" (Magic Perm). It takes a while, so make sure you have a few hours on your hands. So about four months ago, I decided to get it done. I really like it! If I had to do it over I would get the "Volume Magic Perm" because I feel like my hair lacks some body it used to have.

Pros:
  • Saves time! I can just shower and leave the house, no need to blow dry or straighten every morning).
  • No more frizz! Besides for a few fly-aways, my hair is straight as can be.
  • Consistency. It's more rare these days to have a "bad hair day."
Cons:
  • Sometimes I miss my thick, wavy hair.
  • Damages your hair. My hair doesn't feel as healthy as it used to (but actually not that bad).
  • Can be expensive. I paid 120,000 won for my Magic Perm (about $100 USD). But I thought about how much a permanent would be in the States and it was a no-brainer.
Here are some pictures of my old hair:

I was looking for a good picture of my new hair but couldn't find much... Incidentally, my camera was stolen recently after I got the Magic Straight. Here's one:

1 comment: