Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Loving Hut near Suwon!

You may remember my last post where I reviewed the vegan food chain Loving Hut near Itaewon. We were excited to learn that there is a new Loving Hut near Suwon, which is much closer to my city than Seoul.

Getting there: This branch is actually in Yeongtong, which is an area next to Suwon. The address is: 322-3, Mangpo-Dong, Yeongtong-Gu, Suwon-Si. I was in the Yeongtong area, so I gave a taxi driver this address to type into his GPS and we got there smoothly:
경기도 수원시 영통구 망포동 322-3
If you are farther away, you might want to type in your starting point and the address in Korean into Google maps. It will give you public transportation directions.
The food: When we arrived we noticed there were only about ten things on the menu, and this branch was heavily catered to Koreans. For example, there were no English menus or 'American food' such as spaghetti and California rolls like the other branches had. Here is the menu:
Here is the menu with my attempt at transliteration (pronunciation) and translation:
1. Chung gook Jang (Fermented Soybean (miso) stew)
2. Kong Bee Jee Jeegae (Soy bean stew)
3. Dwen Jang Jeegae (Fermented Soy bean paste stew)
4. Kong gook soo (Cold noodles in soy milk)
5. Chae-sheek Ramyeon (Vegetarian Ramen Noodle soup)
6. Chae-sheek Kimap (Vegetarian kimbap, seaweed, rice and veggie roll)
7. Koh-pee (Coffee)
8. Sang koo-ah (?) joo-suh (Fresh Juice, kiwi or kiwi and banana)
9. Banana Shake

We ordered the ramen, kimbap, and 2 banana shakes. Now, maybe it's just me, but when I get vegan food I expect it to taste different. I think vegan versions of things that usually contain meat often taste different, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. Many times I even prefer the vegetarian version. When we got our food, I was pleasantly surprised. The ramen tasted like ramen, and the kimbap, tasted like kimbap... I felt like saying, "Finally! Vegans aren't getting the short end of the stick!" But settled by telling the chef/server it was delicious (맛있었어요)!
Kimbap
Kimchi
Ramen
Banana Shake
The cost: Super cheap! See picture above. Nothing is over 4,000 won (about $4).

The service: There was one woman working when we went. She acted as our hostess, server, and chef... and was great at all her duties. There is usually only outside seating, but I think since it was a little chilly when we went, they had a little corner to sit in next to the kitchen. Barely enough for four people, but cozy!
Overall, I would recommend this Loving Hut if you're in the area. I wish there were more locations that were closer to main subway stations, but until then...enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment